Built in 1740, Marlborough Tavern, originally called the Buell Homestead, was a common stagecoach stop during the late 18th/early 19th centuries. The first floor was the dining area and the kitchen. The second and third floors contained bedrooms for guests. With the Buell Homestead becoming a popular rest stop, the third floor became a convenient holding room for prisoners who were being transported to Newgate Prison in East Granby, CT by local sheriffs. It was a very small room that measured approximately 2 feet by 4 feet and was accessed only from a second floor ladder and hatchway. Once the prisoners walked up the ladder and were placed in this room, the hatch would be locked from the second floor ceiling. This provided an opportunity for the local sheriff to eat and rest before continuing on the long journey. Transporting prisoners to Newgate Prison was a common occurrence during these times and having a rest stop with a small room for containment made the Buell Homestead a very popular stop.
Information courtesy of Marlborough Tavern’s website, thenewmarlboroughtavern.com