Nilsson Spring Street Studio was once the Chester House, an elegant hotel built during the early 1840s. The fourth floor was used for social functions and included a dance floor.
A fire in 1903 destroyed the peaked roof and entire fourth floor of the hotel.
Following the fire, the Chester House was rebuilt with a flat roof, the fourth floor no longer in existence as it was too badly damaged to repair. In 1936, the hotel was purchased to be used as a private residence. Major exterior changes were made by the owners, as is visible to this day, the current private residence and art gallery no longer resembling the once large hotel.